Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ocean Pollution-The Great American Garbage Patch





Annotated Bibliography


http://science.howstuffworks.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch.htm
"Why is the world's biggest landfill in the Pacific Ocean?"
This site talked about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. It also talked about the size and location of it. Also it has information on the fact that this is the world's largest garbage dump. Facts on the amounts of plastics in these waters is also included.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/the-worlds-rubbish-dump-a-garbage-tip-that-stretches-from-hawaii-to-japan-778016.html
"The world's rubbish dump: a garbage tip that stretches from Hawaii and Japan"
This website discusses the location of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Also the amounts of trash and what kinds of things are found in these waters. There is research from multiple scientist.


http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/great_pacific_garbage_patch.php
"Out of Sight, Out of Mind"
This site talks about the location and size of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. It also talks about the trash found in this area. The problems it causes are also discussed.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-great-pacific-garbage-patch.htm
"What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?"
This website discusses the whole problem of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. It discusses the effects on life and the enviroment. It also talks about the fact that it may be to late to help.

1 comment:

Sarah Turnbull 8th Grade Page said...

Hey Gabby,
I learned a lot looking at presentation. Like I learned that there is a garbage patch twice the size of Texas that stretches form Hawaii to Japan. Also that 10% of plastic ends up in the ocean. Lastly I learned that it destroys marine life and ends up in us because we eat the fish. I found recycling very interesting because a lot of people don't recycle. And that clearing out small parts can help a lot. I would also like to learn more about what we kids can do to help.